[Qgis-user] problems making grass training map via qgis

Samantha Goodchild-Brown samanthag at geograph.co.za
Fri Aug 24 04:14:56 PDT 2012

Mischa

I am working on those commands but In Linux side I have got the training
map to raster format with all visible.
More issues I overcame (for students benefit) is:
I imported a shape file made in Qgis with the RGB column and label
column. To get this to work I had to select 'command dialog' button in
'import vector data' box and not just use' ivd' box gui.
In the' import vector data' gui I ticked 'override dataset projection
(use locations projection)' and 'limit import to the currect region' and
made no other changes in the command dialog box except to repeat input
and output dataset names!
Now v.to rast works but it doesn't allow out to specify the attribute
columns - looks greyed out, so you just type them as you know them, it
works!

In windows grass I imported the same shp file, in the same way,
successfully. (this using grass not grass plugin in QGIS)  In the
v.to.rast I can specify / select the attribute columns but when I 'run'
it, I get the following:

(Fri Aug 24 12:46:44 2012)
v.to.rast input=qgis_lclu_trainingmap2 at 3420new output=trainingmap_raster
column=cat_ rgbcolumn=RGB labelcolumn=label
Reading areas...
Reading features...
Writing raster map...
Converted areas: 6 of 6
Converted points/lines: 0 of 0
v.to.rast complete.
(Fri Aug 24 12:46:45 2012) Command finished (0 sec)

Which one would think means everything is fine but now can see no data -
the entire dataset created is the same colour (white).

Is the data most likely still there and just not displaying correctly,
or has some of the attribute info all been lost and it all does have the
same value?