[Qgis-user] Calculating affected regions of high-water situations

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Dec 10 15:35:38 PST 2012

Hi Werner,

Thank you for your info. I came across your Wiki page and also across
TAUDEM (doesn't seem to offer what I need) - at least not as an ready-to
use tool. I also came across r.hazard.flood - I will investigate this
tool further.

I was hoping to do a simple GIS analysis for detecting flooded areas
along bigger rivers in Switzerland - as a student work for a course.
Therefore the model doesn't have to be very sophisticated. If it turns
out as too complicated with OS tools, I may have to skip the idea and
look for other scenarios that are easier to solve with OS GIS.

I thought that this is a common use case in GIS - as many communities
have to do the "Gefahrenkarten" - risk maps. But probably this work has
been outsourced in most cases to real hydrology experts. Then these
hydrology experts probably do not want to make the process too easy and
available to the average GIS users - otherwise they would loose their
jobs/contracts ;-(

Thanks anyway,
Andreas