[Qgis-user] Problems with qgis-python and php5-mapscript

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Feb 14 09:31:50 PST 2012

On 02/14/2012 08:11 AM, Andrea.Z wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently switched to Ubuntu 10.04 and I am having some problems. In fact,
> I noticed a strange incompatibility between qgis-python and php5-mapscript
> libraries. I need both libraries; the first one is essential for QGIS
> plugins; the second one for some other programs (like Ka-map). Actually, I
> can use both programs separately, but I realized that, when I install a
> library, the other one disappears; so, every time I want to switch program,
> I have to reinstall his library. It's quite an annoying problem, and I
> cannot understand the reason because when I worked on other Ubuntu releases,
> even more recent, I never had this kind of problems.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Andrea

My suspicion is that the depend on different version of gdal or some
other underlying lib.

It looks like you should be ok if you use UbuntuGIS PPA
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable as your
repo. Then you'll get a matching mapscript and qgis built against the
same libs.

FYI, just so you know ka-map and possibly php5-mapscript(more generally
mapscript) are no longer widely used or developed. So you might want to
start planning for what platform to move to next (in the next few years).

Thanks,
Alex