[Qgis-user] Google maps kml file won't open

Jel Coward jel at wildmedic.org
Sat Feb 25 16:55:07 PST 2012

Thanks - yes  that was it.

So I used the other link and downloaed the actual kml file but all I see in
qgis is the the line I had drawn on the google map, on a white background.
ie no map.

This is clearly my ineptness/inexperience - please feel free to ignore me
if I am missing something obvious that I should be finding myself :)

Thanks :)

Jel

On 25 February 2012 16:36, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:

> On 02/25/2012 03:45 PM, Jel Coward wrote:
> > Ubuntu 10.04
> > QGIS 1.7.4
> >
> > kml file exported from google maps
> >
> > When I try opening with QGIS I get
> >
> >  The layer...../Pemberton Medical Clinic area2.kml is not a valid layer
> and
> > can not be added to the map
> >

> > Any thoughts from the here gathered wise folks please?
> >

> > I am still a complete nube.....so please accept my apols if the there is
> > something obvious that I should be doing that I am not doing :)
> >

> > Cheers
> >

> > jel
> >

> Often times if the kml is downloaded from Google Maps, it's not the
> actual data but only a link to the real data which is hosted online.
> An easy way to check is to open the kml in a text editor, it will be
> quite short and obvious if the actual x,y data is in the file.
>
> See http://sites.google.com/site/gmapstips/export-my-map-as-kml for more
> information.
>
> If this isn't the issue and the data is public and you can point us to a
> copy to test that would be great.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Jel Coward
Don't miss the OSCAR demonstration evening on Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 in
the Paetzold Auditorium, Vancouver General Hospital (map
here<http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=vancouver+general+hospital&hl=en&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=31.844519,90&vpsrc=0&hq=vancouver+general+hospital&t=m&z=15>
).
The BC OSCAR UserGroup and OSCAR Canada Users Society (OCUS)
meeting<http://oscarcanada.org/>will be held on Friday, May 4th and
Saturday, May 5th, 2012 in the Paetzold
Auditorium, Vancouver General Hospital (map
here<http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=vancouver+general+hospital&hl=en&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=31.844519,90&vpsrc=0&hq=vancouver+general+hospital&t=m&z=15>
).

Some Open-Source and Creative Commons interests.....
The CARE Course http://www.theCAREcourse.ca
Wilderness Medicine Twitter account <http://twitter.com/#%21/wemsiint>
WEMSI-International http://WEMSI-International.org
OSCAR open-source EMR http://OSCARcanada.org