[Qgis-user] .Net Control and more

Alister Hood Alister.Hood at synergine.com
Mon Feb 27 13:29:17 PST 2012

> Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:41:29 -0800
> From: Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>
> Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] .Net Control and more
> To: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
>
> On 02/27/2012 09:10 AM, David Speyer wrote:
> > Thanks for getting back to me Alister!
> >
> > Now I have more specific questions for the group:
> >
> > 1)	What map formats are supported?  In particular are TAB files supported?
> >
> Anything supported by GDAL/OGR, www.gdal.org

Note that in the case of vector TAB files, support is for reading and also writing of new layers.  Editing of an existing TAB is not currently possible.

> > 2)	Can QGIS be used as a Control - Is there an existing tool that can easily be wrapped into a .Net C# Windows Control?   (The equivalent of MapInfo Extreme).
> >
> Yes, but only C++ and python
>
> > 3)	Can a floor plan jpg file be layered over a blank map control and then registered via TAB file using minimally three points on the map with Latitude and Longitude?  Then with mouse click know all the other coordinates on the map?   Is this a simple process?  (Again this can be easily done with MapInfo Extreme).
> Yes, georegistration tool is built in.

Note that registration is not _via a TAB file_.  QGIS only supports TAB files that actually contain vector data, not the TAB files that MapInfo uses to refer to any non-TAB data (vector or raster).
Registration is either by creating a new file which contains the georeferencing information (this would need to be a geotiff or something which supports that), or via an ESRI style "world file" (these often have extensions like .wld .jgw .tfw etc).  I seem to remember that MapInfo is too useless to understand world files, but I could be wrong (maybe it was too useless to understand the built-in georeferencing in ecw files or something?).
Both world files and the georeferencing TAB files are plain text, so you can create one from the other if necessary.

> > 4)	Web App and Stand Alone Support?
> >
> There is work on Web Client to correspond with QGIS Server. Desktop standalone is the primary mechanism for all current deployments.

I think there are _2_ web clients now :)