[Qgis-user] Using QGIS with ArcGIS

Viktor Kalén viktor.kalen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 04:41:15 PDT 2012

Hello Vincent,

We have a well established ESRI environment for our desktop tasks, and
a farily new Open Source environment for WebGIS. This means that we
have the same data stored twice, both as ESRI FileGeodatabases and in
PostGIS.

We use FME to push data from ESRI --> PostGIS. Then we use QGIS for
direct editing and QC of the data in PostGIS. We have some data
collection over the web, storing data in PostGIS. Editing and QC this
data is the main task where we use QGIS.

Of course the best way would have been to store everything in just
one place (PostGIS), hopefully we will go there in the future when
ESRI handles PostGIS as god as QGIS does today. I have tried some 3:rd
party plugins to read end editing PostGIS data in ArcGIS. But they
where not as stable as QGIS. However, FME offers a stable converter
between the to environments!

We use: QGIS 1.8, ArcGIS 10.1 (just upgraded), FME 2012 and Postgres
8.4 with PostGIS.

Regards,

Viktor Kalén