[Qgis-user] Getting started - Data

Jeff Barnard jeffbarnard1111 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 07:49:05 PDT 2012

I am working with the Dominican Red Cross for 12 months assisting with
disaster preparedness and prevention. Members have begun mapping
communities for hazards using google maps and very lengthy hand written
notes etc.

I have installed QGIS 1.8.0-Lisboa but am frustrated at being unable to get
started ie I have purchased some data on Dominica from the Geocommunity
website (which I have on CD) but simply cannot get in onto the program. I
have tried to convert the e00 files into shape files but have not
been successful. I think the software has some sample data but again have
not been able to access either Rasta or Vector layers.

All the videos and training I find start from having the data accessible to
the program. I feel once I get something to work with I will be away.

Hope someone can assist
Jeff Barnard MCommDev (EmergMgt) AVID Volunteer with Dominica Red Cross Email:
 jeffbarnard1111 at gmail.com, Skype: jeffbarnard1111