[Qgis-user] QGIS presence at the AGIT conference in Salzburg

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Sun Jul 8 11:37:53 PDT 2012

Hi,

I've been to AGIT for three years now and both the conference itself and
the interest in open source GIS is growing steadily. Especially after
Andreas' and Werner's sessions, people found their way to our booth.

For the next AGIT, I think it would be good to try to get the FOSSGIS
Austria group (http://wiki.alpine-geckos.at/wiki/FOSSGIS_UserGroup_Austria)
to Salzburg. Especially if we want to organize our own QGIS track, we'll
need some more people.

Some of the topics discussed at the QGIS booth were:

- Sextante: It offers great potential but at the same time it's still
experimental - leading to

- Plugins: A common problem is that users are unaware that they are
installing an experimental plugin. Once you allow "experimental" plugins in
the Installer, all possible plugins will be listed without any additional
note on whether they are stable or not. Users simply expect them to work
and will be disappointed. The plugin list should clearly show which plugins
are ready for production use and which are experimental.

- Icons: It's been noted multiple times that the default icon set is ugly
and should be replaced by the "GIS" set as a default.

- Customization: Most users are still unaware of the customization feature.
At the same time, there is wide agreement that the default interface (after
first installation) is too much for the non-professional.

Best wishes,
Anita