[Qgis-user] contour plugin

David M. Lawrence dave at fuzzo.com
Mon Jul 9 06:18:08 PDT 2012

On 7/9/2012 4:40 AM, Giovanni Manghi wrote:
> ImportError: No module named matplotlib
> the message is clear, you misses matplotlib, that is easily installable
> with osgeo4w or with your favourite package manager if you use Linux.
>
> cheers
>
> -- Giovanni --

No, the message is not clear.  I am a scientist, journalist, and do a
fair bit of computer programming in other languages, but could use some
better documentation myself.

Can someone provide step-by-step instructions -- with URLs needed to
obtain modules -- so that those of us can get contour properly up and
running?

Bullet points:
1) I use Win7-64.
2) I have QGIS 1.8 installed.
3) I seem to have OSGeo4W installed.
4) I separately installed the appropriate version of Python 2.8 for my
processor.
5) I separately installed the appropriate version of NumPy for my
processor/Python combination.
6) I separately installed the appropriate version of SciPyfor my
processor/Python combination(I thought I saw it was needed for
matplotlib or one of matplotlib's prerequisites).
7) I separately installed the appropriate version of matplotlibfor my
processor/Python combination.

After all that, contour still freezes when I run it (all I get is a "Not
Responding" for several hours with no other error message).  Maybe it
takes that long, but I only have about 400 points to contour at present.

I fully appreciate that I may have not installed something properly, but
after several hours of googling this and that to figure out how to get
this or that installed and functioning I am no closer to a solution.
So, please, don't be afraid to insult my intelligence -- you'll fail
anyway -- but please be explicit and clear as to how I and others
interested in the plugin can get it running.  Don't assume we know
something you think is basic information.

I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, but I am a communications
professional -- in addition to being a geographer and natural scientist
-- and I know something about how to get a message across.  Right now,
I'd really, really like to get one.

Thank you all for your time.

Dave

  David M. Lawrence        | Home:  (804) 559-9786
  6467 Hanna Drive         | Cell:  (804) 305-5234
  Mechanicsville, VA 23111 | Email: dave at fuzzo.com
  USA                      | http:  http://fuzzo.com

"All drains lead to the ocean."  -- Gill, Finding Nemo

"We have met the enemy and he is us."  -- Pogo

"No trespassing
  4/17 of a haiku"  --  Richard Brautigan