[Qgis-user] [Qgis-developer] Cast your vote: Default icon theme for QGIS 2.0

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 01:16:35 PDT 2012

Hi!

> Is there any reason why would one want to use the 'GIS' theme other than
> personal preference ?
> Like, is it shared across multiple applications, improving "consistency"
> of desktop look&feel ?

As far as I can see (and already wrote in my email) GRASS is using the
GIS Icon Theme in in their wxwindows GUI ..
So .. It's just one application so far using it as default ..
But as I think GRASS and QGIS are used together a lot it would make it
easier for users to recognise the icons.
I am sure there will be a lot of complaints in the begining (people
don't like anything changed when it comes to visual things) but on the
long term (and when other opensource GIS would also use this icons) it
would make a much more consistent feeling across all GIS (but you are
right for now it would only be GRASS and QGIS).

Said that I also like Roberts icons much more than the defaults now
(looking a lot clearer and technical) and beside that I think Roberts
work should be shown to the world as he is investing a lot of time for
a more consistent look.

I hope that other GIS would jump on this train too

kind regards
Werner