[Qgis-user] contour plugin

David M. Lawrence dave at fuzzo.com
Tue Jul 10 07:25:33 PDT 2012

On 7/10/2012 3:58 AM, Alister Hood wrote:
> Hi Dave,
> There is no point in installing any libraries for a separately installed Python to use.
> On Windows QGIS follows the common Windows practice of every program installing its own copy of all its dependencies.
> So QGIS will use the Python that is installed by the QGIS installer if you use the standalone QGIS installer, or by the OSGeo4W installer if you use that.
> QGIS should not use any Python that is installed separately (unless you've done some trickery to make it care, or something has changed that I am not aware of).
> It is possible to install QGIS using both the QGIS installer and the OSGeo4W installer, and they will both have their own Python.
>
> With OSGeo4W, the steps to install should be:
> - run through the OSGeo4W installer and check that you have installed QGIS, matplotlib, python-numpy and python-shapely.
> - install the plugin.
> There used to be a problem with the matplotlib package that meant you also had to edit a file to make it work unless your install somehow had Tk.  But I believe that is fixed, and it produced a recognisable warning message, anyway.
>
> If you use the standalone installer.  I thought it included all the dependencies of this plugin, but I could be wrong.
>
> Anyway, since you seem to be able to start the plugin, your problem doesn't appear to be with getting it all installed.  Some ideas:
> - Try  the plugin on an even smaller dataset to see if it works (If I remember correctly, I think it might be quite slow, but several hours for 400 points does seem like a very long time).
> - When the plugin appears to be frozen, can you look in the windows process manager to see if it is actually doing any work?
> - Remove the separate Python and all the associated junk to see if that is affecting QGIS.  (But I doubt that it is)
> - Provide your data for someone else to check that it works fine on their system.
> Also, I could be wrong, but I think I remember this plugin freezing for me, and then somehow working fine when I tried it again with exactly the same options... have you tried it a second time?
>
> Regards,
> Alister

Thanks Alister.  I'll give this a try -- this time on my primary
computer, which was out of commission earlier.

Dave

  David M. Lawrence        | Home:  (804) 559-9786
  6467 Hanna Drive         | Cell:  (804) 305-5234
  Mechanicsville, VA 23111 | Email: dave at fuzzo.com
  USA                      | http:  http://fuzzo.com

"All drains lead to the ocean."  -- Gill, Finding Nemo

"We have met the enemy and he is us."  -- Pogo

"No trespassing
  4/17 of a haiku"  --  Richard Brautigan