[Qgis-user] Cannot get to install QGIS

Ken ken at newby.co.za
Tue Jul 10 12:05:46 PDT 2012

Hi
I am new to Ubuntu.
I had an old version of ubuntu running and has an old version of QGIS
installed on it... My work windows version had more functions...so decided
to upgrade.
After about 3 ubuntu upgrades I am now on 12.04 but I cannot install Qgis -
I get the following errors...

ken at Kenubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install qgis
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package qgis is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  libqgis1.4.0

E: Package 'qgis' has no installation candidate

How have I screwed it all up?

Thanks