[Qgis-user] Sextante on Mac OS X: a working solution for running GRASS commands

gene martin.laloux at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 13:27:28 PDT 2012

I could not use the Grass commands on Mac OS X. So I decided to analyze the
Python scripts and the sextante log to understand why they did not work.
The log gave me the error
        "GRASS execution console output|/bin/sh: grass64: command not found"
and This problem is due to the line 249 of the script  *GrassUtils.py*
        command = "*grass64 *" + GrassUtils.grassMapsetFolder() + "/user"

GRASS GIS from William Kyngesburye ( http://www.kyngchaos.com/
http://www.kyngchaos.com/ ) is an application bundle  on Mac OS X.
A bundle is a directory that allows related resources such as an
application's executable and its libraries, graphics, help files, etc. to be
grouped together, appearing as a single file to the user (GRASS-6.4.app).
The Unix executables are in the bundle and not in /usr/bin like on Linux
The path on Mac OS X is :
*/Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS/grass.sh*

The solution is therefore to replace the line 249 of *GrassUtils.py* by
command = "*/Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS/grass.sh* " +
GrassUtils.grassMapsetFolder() + "/user"

and everything works fine.

But I still have a little problem with the help, if I replace line 65 of the
previous script:
         testfolders = ['/usr/share/doc/grass-doc/html']
by
         testfolders =
['/Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS/docs/html']

the result is
"Grass help folder is not correctly configured. Please configure it"
So I continue to search.

If this can help someone.