[Qgis-user] problems installing QGIS 1.8 on windows 7-64 bit

David M. Lawrence dave at fuzzo.com
Tue Jul 10 23:08:01 PDT 2012

I know others are having this problem, but I have yet to stumble on the
solution.

I am trying to install QGIS 1.8 on my laptop (Windows 7-64 bit). Whether
I use the standalone QGIS installer or the OsGeo4w installer, the
procedure hangs during the postinstall stage here: "running postinstall
qgis-common.bat"

In the OsGeo4w installer it just freezes, but with the standalone
installer, I get a dialog box with the message "find string (qgrep)
utility has stopped working"

findstr shows up in Task Manager tying up 50 processes, and even after I
kill the installer and try to stop findstr in Task Manager, it keeps on
ticking for quite some time.

Later,

Dave

  David M. Lawrence        | Home:  (804) 559-9786
  6467 Hanna Drive         | Cell:  (804) 305-5234
  Mechanicsville, VA 23111 | Email: dave at fuzzo.com
  USA                      | http:  http://fuzzo.com

"All drains lead to the ocean."  -- Gill, Finding Nemo

"We have met the enemy and he is us."  -- Pogo

"No trespassing
  4/17 of a haiku"  --  Richard Brautigan