[Qgis-user] Difference in Area/Perimeter calculations

Harish harry.om2000 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 07:50:23 PDT 2012

Now let us go deeper.

I tried one polygon of the same layer having area of around 1300 hectares.
I keep layer in Projected form as 32643 and used area calculate tool from
Attribute tool bar. I keep snapping of 20 pixels for the layer so that my
cursor should not deviate. The area comes as 13.099 Sqkm which is equal to
13099000 sqm. (layer was in UTM and tool used ellipsoid as per default in
Measure tool).

Now we look at area calculated by 'Export/Add geometry tool' previously
using ellipsoid and layer CRS (UTM) for the same polygon which comes
13108140.7 sqm and 12988046.4 sqm. respectively. The difference between
ellipsoidal measurement comes to 9140.7 (about 1 ha.) meter which may be
rounding error, and error is around .076 percent. The area difference
between ellipsoidal and projected measurement for same polygon comes to
116094.30 sqm around 16 hectare. so error is  1.23 percent which may rise
when area will increase.

The same can be repeated with the original data I have attached previously.

So if I am farmer or government surveyor which method I should use?

Regards

Harish