[Qgis-user] Which android tablet

watercress at gmx.de watercress at gmx.de
Thu Jul 12 02:48:58 PDT 2012

Hi,

has anyone tested the performance of qgis on android.

I want to collect and store the position of 50 trouts tagged with radio
transmitters directly in the field.

What I did so far:
I have to aim at the targets from different locations at the river bank.
What I do now is simply draw lines on printed orthophotos. The fish is
located where the lines intersect. It is always quite a mess to
determine your own position. I could save the origin with a gps-device
but this takes too much time, would include "postprocessing" and adding
another step will increase the source of error.

... and it is not possible to walk into the stream ...

I am thinking of using a tablet, locally store the orthophotos (5 to 8
pieces, format: .jp2, each around 130 MB) and save the points (e.g.
postgis). All metadata could be entered at once. No paper work. I know
where I am and can easily store, edit,.. fish data in the field.

But I am bit worried about the performance. I takes about two til four
minutes to load those raster-layers at my desktop (Ubuntu 12.04, 16GB
Ram, QuadCore,...). The performance appears very poor.

What can I expect from a tablet solution? Anything missing in my chain
of thoughts?

I really appreciate any hints, ideas ,..I also would like to contribute
my experience as a case study for the qgis-website.

Regards,
Jens