[Qgis-user] Atlas Plugin

Lee Hachadoorian lee.hachadoorian at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 16:07:35 PDT 2012

Recently used the Atlas plugin for the first time, and I think it's
great. There is one problem I am having which is maybe a bit unusual,
and I wonder if there is a way to handle it in Atlas or if someone has
figured out a workaround. Basically, I am mapping nominal data with a
large number of categories, using differently colored polygons
(categorical symbolization). The entire list of categories in my area
of interest is so large that the legend just runs off the page in the
Print Composer. But only a small subset (usually 5-10) of the
categories appears in any given zone. If I were creating each map
manually, I would only show the categories that appear in the
currently displayed zone.

Currently I'm getting around this by doing subsets of neighboring
zones, rather than the entire study area. I still have many unused
categories on each map, but at least the legend is small enough to fit
on the map. Has someone with experience with Atlas come up with a
better way to do this?

Thanks,
--Lee

--
Lee Hachadoorian
PhD, Earth & Environmental Sciences (Geography)