[Qgis-user] Field Calculator - No update existing field option available for PostGIS layer

tom Thomas.Joseph at awtwater.com
Sat Jul 14 02:50:25 PDT 2012

Giovanni Manghi-2 wrote

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 10:09 AM, tom <Thomas.Joseph@> wrote:
>>
>> There is no update existing field option available for a postgis vector
>> layer
>> when I am not logged on as a postgre super user.  I have tried to play
>> with
>> several access privileges combinations for the other users but cannot
>> seem
>> to get anything to work.  I am probably overlooking something simple but
>> any
>> help would be greatly appreciated.  I have tried on both Windows and
>> Ubuntu
>> DB hosts and clients.
>>

> if table manager does "alter table" operations then the user must be
> owner of the table, but not necessarily the "postgres" user.
>
> cheers
>
> -- Giovanni --

Why would updating an existing field need to perform an alter table
statement.  It should just be a simple update statement right ?  I would
have thought alter table would only be required for the "create a new field"
option which oddly enough the tick box is present but displays a note that
says "not supported by this provider".

After a quick scan of qgsfieldcalculator.cpp (line 46-51) I see that if the
data provider does not support field addition it disallows existing field
edits with mUpdateExistingGroupBox->setCheckable( false );.  Should that not
read  mNewFieldGroupBox->setCheckable( false );.  I am certainly a novice in
cpp so I could certainly be wrong. I just want to limit some users to only
update data and not create new fields.  Editing data for these users works
as expected using the attribute form on an individual features but not
multiple updates.