[Qgis-user] Hardware for GIS Server

Noli Sicad nsicad at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 01:30:02 PDT 2012

> I am starting to study programming languages, and, believe or not, I m
> doing this just to contribute with Open Source GIS software development. I
> finished to read my first programming book and I am starting JavaScript -
> The Definitive Guide and JAVA-DEITEL.

I agree that Javascript is useful language for web mapping. However,
Java has nothing to do with Javascript.

Find a book / tutorial about Javascript and jQuery

> Well, I want to buy a server, but I don´t have any idea of "how to" choose
> a good server for me. What I want at this time is develop some basic
> applications for brazilian NGOs and small business, with no cost, to train
> my skills and work on a development environment.
> My questions are: how to choose a hardware webserver for GIS applications?
> what is the best Linux distribution to work with webgis?
>
> If somebody can point me a good "Python for begginer´s" book, it will be
> very usefull.

I totally agree with Alex.

You probably don't need a Web geoserver / mapserver,

You can use free available map services (e.g. Mapbox, Cloudmade,
OpenStreetMap (OSM), etc.)

Leaflet is very good in creating web mapping using Mapbox, cloudmade,
OpenStreetMap.

Have  a look at this example.

https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/axler/SLRE_Deep_Map/index2.html

View the javascript code on this page.