[Qgis-user] [Newbie] Trying to get started with QGIS

Lilirian b137716 at rppkn.com
Tue Mar 6 19:13:36 PST 2012

Hi folks :)

I'm trying to get started with QGIS. I'm under the impression that QGIS can
do the following :-

1) Load up a WKT file to a layer
2) Added a google map layer UNDER the WKT layer
3) modify the boundary, from step 1. (by overlaying the boundary over a map,
i can clean up the boundary).
4) export this boundary to a WKT (or Well Known Binary).

or

1) create an empty layer
2) added a google map layer under this empty layer
3) drawn some new polygon(s) on the empty layer .. using the google map
layer as a reference.
4) export the polygon(s) as a WTK / WKB

So - can anyone help me please?

The data I have right now are some zipcodes, cities and neighbourhoods for
the USA which i'm trying to 'clean up' or create new ones.

Thanks kindly to any friendly help. I know it's a pretty blonde question,
but I'm really stuck trying to solve this.

Cheers!

- Lili -