[Qgis-user] Creation of GPX file fails

Laurence Béchet bechet.laurence at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 21:32:13 PST 2012

Hi Victor,

Thanks for the tip, yes it works at last!... except that the waypoint
identification field (IDENT) in the created gpx  is empty as well as the
other fields, actually, except the X_proj and Y_proj .
And it doesn't solve the gpx uploading in qgis issue.
So somewhere information are lost during this saving phase.

But it gave me the idea of using comma separated text files to switch
between gpx files and qgis. It's the only way to keep all the fields
from one field's type to another one (a real mystery though).

So to resume:
1) if I start from a valid gpx file, I upload it withing dnrGarmin,
2) then I have the option to export it as a text file (which will be a
comma delimited one .txt) or as a projected shapefile.
     2-1) if I choose the shapefile, then I can upload it easily within qgis
     2-2) if I choose the .txt file, then I need to upload it with the
"add delimited text layer" and then save the new layer as a shape file
(why doing things easily when you can do them with more difficulties:-) )

If now, I start from a shapefile within qgis that i want to save
eventually as a gpx file to upload on my gps, I will save the shapefile
layer with the following options:
* format: comma separated value
* I give it a name (the csv extension will be added)
* encoding: system
* CRS: layer (which is New Zealand Traverse Mercator)
* OGR creation option: none
* skip attribute creation skipper: unchecked

And then I get a perfect cvs file, I just need to change its extention
(.txt) and load it with dnrgarmin.

It seems ok with my own compter (basic XP), I need to check it works
with XP pro (office laptop) and vista (student laptop). Apart that, it
seems to me a doable thing and faster that trying to fix this
/non-working-gpx thinggie/.

Laurence