[Qgis-user] QGIS farm application

Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) bertelli at charta.acme.com
Wed Mar 14 02:40:23 PDT 2012

Hello Walt,
this issue is somehow more general, even if farming is a special case.
You are indeed asking two questions:
1. is a geodabase worth using in my daily work?
2. is a dbms (server) what I need?
I think it's definitely useful to deal with a database that merges
geographic objects and other types of management data. QGis offers two
options at least, Spatialite, which is a single file database (for all
your data management needs) and PostGis wich is a traditional DBMS
with very powerful spatial extensions.
The choice between the two options depends on your needs of
collaboration. If you are alone and you keep your data on your pc,
than getting rid of database administration is a good choice, and I
would suggest Spatialite (by the way, using Spatialite/SQLite is
advisable for OpenOffice too), otherwise PostgreSQL+PostGIS could help
you sharing data without making "working copies" (which are undoubtly
going to become a mess in a few months).
Admittably both need some learning of SQL basics, but there is not too
much to study; as Alessandro Furieri (the author of Spatialite, a
spatial extension to SQLite): "Spatial Is Not Special"
(http://www.gaia-gis.it/gaia-sins/).
My two eurocents...