[Qgis-user] Spatialite data portability

Walter Ludwick wludwick at mac.com
Thu Mar 15 05:09:57 PDT 2012

Following the consensus opinion of all those who kindly answered my inquiry (Re: QGIS Farm Application), i have installed Spatialite and managed to export all the data from a layer to a .SQLITE file, and then view it from several different SQLite browsers, which confirms integrity of data & database structure. This already is a constructive step forward (thanks to all those who helped, too numerous already to mention :).

Moreover, i have managed to create a database in LibreOffice based upon that .sqlite file (after (re)learning more than i really wanted to know about ODBC drivers!), which displays all the data as it should. This is another good step forward, because -tho the business of my farm is predicated on geo-located resources (e.g. a paddock on the ground) having certain attributes that are best defined in QGIS (e.g. perimeter, area, etc.)- i will still be working with that data in spreadsheets on a much more dynamic basis.

However: When i try to edit those .sqlite files from QGIS in another tool, i'm running into an error message that varies slightly, depending on the editor i use (anything but OO at this point: ODBC is too much pain, until i get these other mechanics worked out), but the message is essentially this (from SQLiteStudio):
      "Error while updating cell value; no such function: RTreeAlign".

Presuming that what i am trying to do is in fact possible*;  then i am left scratching my head as to why all these SQL tools are having this trouble, and where that problematic function is coming from. Does that error message suggest anything to you?

* (Of course, if what i am trying to do with such round-trip editing is in fact not possible, i would sure appreciate if someone could let me know :)

/wl