[Qgis-user] Transferiing a project from MapInfor to QGIS....Please help.....

naomi jackson naomijackson_fj at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 18 16:59:48 PDT 2012

Hi Andreas,

* if possible use a newer QGIS version like QGIS 1.7.x - there is a lot
of activity in QGIS development and it usually helps to stay with the
current stable version. One day you may even want to try OSGeo4W and the trunk version ;-)
Thanksfor the recommendations i have done so and seems to be working great.

Why do you want to open layers with Python?

After reading online Manuals i believed just as MapInfor has MapBasic, QGIS uses Python to customize menus.

Is it not enough to just
load a QGIS project file? Is there a specific reason why you want to
load the layer with Python? It is certainly possible, but there may be
simpler options.
This project will be launched on PC's for certain departments and they do not work with QGIS(they need it for display only) and most of the time they require a automated program where they do not need to learn steps of opening up projects....

It is certainly possible, but there may be
simpler options.
Nice to know that it is possible,I would like to know about the simpler versions.

The other requirement: why do you want a separate menu for layers if
there is a layer tree already where you can right-click and zoom to the
layer extent?
Like I have mentioned our staff are more comfortable with an automated system as how they've seen it in Mapinfor.

What do you gain if you have a separate tree in the menu if you already have a layer tree in QGIS?
a click and all is done.

I appreciate your suggestions and hope to get positive responses...

Is it possible to automatically update the QGIS database when we make changes in Access table??or it has to be done manually every time we update the Access table(.mbd)

Regards
Naomi