[Qgis-user] Re: QGIS + Inkscape

Morgan Hite morgan at hesperus-wild.org
Fri Mar 23 12:57:47 PDT 2012

Hi Brylie,

I have been thinking about this for a few days, because  I already use
these two programs for 90% of the mapping I do (see
http://www.hesperus-wild.org/GIS_carto.html).   I would be very happy to
see closer linkage between QGIS and Inkscape!

Typically I prepare maps in QGIS (1.74 running under Ubuntu 10.04), and
export from a print composer to a PNG image. This I load into Inkscape
(0.4.7, also running under Ubuntu 10.04) as my lowest layer, and then
add text on top of it, taking advantage of Inkscape's ability to put
text on a curved path. This way I get my text labels exactly where I
want them without having to fiddle with automatic text placement. In
Inkscape I also add title blocks, north arrow and possibly some artwork.
In the end I export from Inkscape as PNG, but I can also save directly
as PDF.

Sometimes -- let's say I want the auto-placed labels on contour lines --
I will display a single layer in QGIS (contours), auto-label it, and
export what's in the print composer as SVG -- and then read this SVG
file into Inkscape as a new layer. As you probably know, this does not
work very well: the data is typically not clipped to the print
composer's extents. But if all I want are the auto-placed labels, so
that I can move them around in Inkscape, it's tolerable. I ungroup the
layer in Inkscape and delete all the objects except the labels.

This QGIS-Inkscape workflow works pretty well, but there are two
headaches.

One is that if I change the extents of the map in QGIS, I essentially
have to start over again in Inkscape.

The other is that the map prepared in QGIS is simply an image in
Inkscape. If I zoom in, it gets grainy, whereas of course the
vector-based Inkscape elements do not. The ideal, I think, would be to
be able to save all vector layers of the map out of QGIS as SVG
(including new symbology), and then save the final product out of
Inkscape as a vector-based PDF.

Thanks,

Morgan Hite
Hesperus Arts