[Qgis-user] Edit MapInfo TAB files

Fischer, Andreas Andreas.Fischer at kreis-unna.de
Sun Mar 25 15:28:43 PDT 2012

Dear list members,
right after FOSSGIS 2011 in Dessau I'm very curious about using QGIS in
addition to MapInfo Professional in my organization.
Unfortunately I could not find out yet, how to edit MapInfo TAB files
directly. The button to activate "edit mode" keeps inactive whatever I
try. When I go ahead to save a MapInfo TAB-file into SHAPE-format,
editing this file isn`t a problem. Saving this file to MapInfo
TAB-format and opening it again, I can't get into edit mode once again.
;-(
But shouldn`t it be possible to edit MapInfo TAB-Format since the
OGR-driver supports reading and editing this format? By the way I
installed the latest version of QGIS from OSGEO4W-distribution with GDAL
support.
I'm sorry to ask you such an basic question, but I did not find an
answer anywhere else yet.
So please be patient with me and let me know what I'm doing wrong.
Thank you so far,
Best regards
Andreas