[Qgis-user] SEXTANTE for QGIS has been released

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 14:19:31 PDT 2012

> One remark / request on concerning GRASS; as the GRASS algorithms are
> already available through the GRASS toolbox, the main thing for me would be
> to enable the use of GRASS raster and vector layers in all the SAGA (and
> other) modules. I assume this will be part of the working version you
> mention?

Well, the idea is just the opposite: to use any raster or vector layer
in GRASS, directly from QGIS. "Any" in this context means any "normal"
file-based layer. What you propose is just the opposite: to use GRASS
layers in other apps. This is something I plan to work on later. As I
mentioned in the release note, now SEXTANTE handles those "normal"
layers, but not others like layers from remote services, from DB
connections or "special" layers like GRASS ones. I hope to give
support for all that as well, so any layer than can be loaded into
QGIS can be passed to an external application transparently, with
SEXTANTE doing the necessary work of conversion or whatever is needed.
However, I will wait until this first version works fine before
starting that.

Regards