[Qgis-user] Micha, re. linux

Lee Hachadoorian lee.hachadoorian at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 23:05:27 EDT 2012

If you want to use an external hard drive—and, in my experience, booting
from USB is *much* faster than booting from DVD—check out, UNetbootin,
LiveUSB Install, or any number of other USB creators, some of which will
let you set up a multiboot USB so that you can choose between OSes when you

Another option, and my preferred one for trying out new OSes (including the
OSGeo DVD) is to use virtualization. I prefer VirtualBox, other options
include VMWare and Xen. I run Ubuntu Linux, but also have the OSGeo DVD
installed because sometimes you have to jump through hoops to install a
software that's not in the repositories and I just want to try it out
before committing the effort. (Not referring to QGIS, which runs fine.)