[Qgis-user] QGIS Attribute Table Not Displaying Data

Lee Hachadoorian Lee.Hachadoorian+L at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 10:36:06 PST 2012

> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Andre Joost <andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>> Further down the same panel, I have a dropdownbox "Behaviour of Attribute
>> table" (or whatever it is in your language).
>>
>> After switching to "Show All Objects", I see them in the table.
>>
>> HTH,
>> André Joost

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Etienne Tourigny
<etourigny.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> confirmed.  Lee probably changed that setting without knowing it -
> funky things can happen with mouse scrolling sometimes - you
> inadvertently scroll down a combo box when you meant to scroll the
> page.
>
> Etienne

Thanks so much, André and Etienne. That is exactly right. The dropdown
was set to "Show selected features". And, yes, I was using the scroll
wheel to scroll down the panel, so that must be how I unintentionally
changed the setting.

Two follow-up remarks:

First, I did a complete uninstall, using purge, then deleted the empty
$HOME/.qgis anyway. The setting persisted through this. Now that I
know what the problem is, I double-checked.

Set "Show selected features"
sudo apt-get remove --purge qgis
sudo apt-get autoremove #removes all the dependencies
rm ~/.qgis
sudo apt-get install qgis

I confirm that the configuration folder does not exist. The
configuration folder gets recreated at first launch of QGIS. I look at
the Options, and Attribute table behavior is still set to "Show
selected features".

Second, there is one (too me) weird thing about the behavior of "Show
selected features". When set, the attribute table can only display
from the universe of features *selected when the attribute table is
first opened*. If you then change the selection (using the select tool
or using Invert Selection) the selected features will be highlighted
on the map, but will not be updated in the attribute table. Invert
selection immediately yields an empty feature table because the
inverted selection obviously includes only features that were not
selected when the attribute table was opened. I don't know if this is
intended behavior, but it is very different from the "Show selected
only" checkbox at the bottom of the attribute table panel. When that
checkbox is on, the attribute table displays the selection as a subset
of the entire dataset. If a subset of records appear in the table
because of the "Show selected features" setting, and then you check
"Show selected only", selected records will appear in the attribute
table only if they were in the original selection when the attribute
table was opened.

Thanks for the assistance.
--Lee

--
Lee Hachadoorian
Asst Professor of Geography, Dartmouth College