[Qgis-user] How to compile gdal with ESRI FileGDB

Johan Nilsson joni8135 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 07:27:07 PST 2012

I have tried to find how I compile gdal 1.9.2 with ESRIs FileGDB_API, but
I'm are very uncertain how it work. I have Ubuntu 10.04LTS 32-bit with PAE.
I another step I downloaded source-code for gdal-1.9.2 and added needed
packed with:

*cd ~/Desktop/gdal-mod* <--move cursor to the created folder.
*apt-get source gdal-bin *<--download source-cod from my respositories
(same as my binary installed on my system, into the folder I stand in
~/Desktop/gdal-mod)
*sudo apt-get build-dep gdal* <--geting dependencies so my system can build
the package gdal.

 From https://github.com/usgin/ncgmp/wiki/Installation-Example I found this
example

* *

   1.

   *cd ~/downloads *<--change to the folder with the downloaded driver from
   ESRI*
   *
   2.

   *tar xzf FileGDB_API_1_2-64.tar.gz *<--unpacking
   3.

   *cd ~/downloads/FileGDB_API/lib *<--goes to a file in the unpacked
   FileGDB*
   *
   4.

   *ln -s libfgdbunixrtl.so libfgdblinuxrtl.so <--made a symbolic link in
   the folder lib because ESRI change the name.*
   5.

   *cd ../..* <--up 2 levels*
   *
   6.

   *tar xvf gdal-1.9.0.tar.gz *<--unpacking, I have a newer file*
   *
   7.

   *cd gdal-1.9.0 *
   8.

   *./configure --with-pg=/usr/bin/pg_config
   --with-fgdb=/home/ubuntu/downloads/FileGDB_API
   --with-geos=/usr/local/bin/geos-config
   --with-static-proj4=/usr/local/lib/libproj.a --with-python *
   9.

   *make *
   10.

   *sudo make install*

First a question! If I make a 'make install', and if it don't work, how can
i change back to my original gdal-bin?

Second. Does this install libFileGDBAPI.so (Read a tutorial, there they
said that libFileGDBAPI.so should be install in it default directory, which
I don't know where it is...

 6. I have a newer version of gdal (1.9.2) and I have the 32-bit version on
this machine. The swift '--with' in this example above are not so accurate
for my system, I think? What does '--with' really do? Does it create links
in gdal or does it more?

Does someone know which swift '--with ' I should have or are necessary or
good to have? Do the FileGDB also get compiled at the same time?

I seach my system and change the path in the example: first where I have my
FileGDB_API and then some other files have also a different path? Do I need
all this --with, or does a default file add it?

My modified '--with', if it's needed?

./configure --with-pg=/usr/bin/pg_config
--with-fgdb=/home/Joni/Desktop/gdal-mod/FileGDB_API
--with-geos=/usr/bin/geos-config --with-static-proj4=/usr/lib/libproj.a
--with-python

If I don't add anything more than, my FilGDB_API, there the source-code
are, does there are any 'Default setting', so It work as now? I had a
Postgis config-file as in the example. In this example they had compiled a
geos package, but my system did have libgeos and a geos-config file in
above blue directory. The '*--with-static-proj4=/usr/local/lib/libproj.a**'
*have I changed to another *path*, there I find a* **libproj.a** *file.

Hope someone can explain little..

/Cheers

Johan