[Qgis-user] Stuck GPS

Tomáš Vrána tomas.vrana at cemotel.cz
Fri Nov 16 14:45:27 PST 2012

Dne 15.11.2012 19:45, Tomáš Vrána napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> for some time I have not used GPS live tracking in Qgis. Now I have
> tried it, and it seems like there is some strange problem. Reported
> GPS coordinates are stuck to unchanging values. When I run GPS via
> gpsd, I can verify that GPS reports different, correct coords (via
> xgps). I running Qgis 1.8.0 on openSuse linux, I have also tried
> latest git master with same results. I am rather desperate and fresh
> out of ideas.
>
> Tom

Problem fixed... Qgis uses string to double conversion function that is
locale dependent. NMEA messages from GPS use . decimal separator. So if
you current locale has different decimal separator, then you get only
the part before dot, which makes the position seem stuck. Will be
reporting that. Meanwhile setting

export LC_NUMERIC=en_US.utf8

before running Qgis does the trick.

Tom