[Qgis-user] obscurate DB password from .qgs project

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 17:04:46 PST 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Jürgen E. <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
> Hi Yves,
>
> On Fri, 16. Nov 2012 at 20:17:53 +0100, Yves Jacolin wrote:
>> Is it possible to store this credentials in "user setting" instead in the
>> project files? I mean currently if user open the project later he should fill a
>> again the credentials form, isn't it?
>
> Right. If you don't save your password, you have to reenter it whenever you
> restart QGIS.   But that's kind of the point of not saving the password.
>
> But we could enhance QgsCredentials to optionally offser to save the password
> in a encrypted file and guard that with a master password - just like Etienne
> already suggested.
>
> But as Qt apparently doesn't have something for encryption aboard, that would
> probably require yet another dependency.

Here is a simple class that allows to encrypt/decrypt text using a
private key - although according to the author it does not provide
strong encryption.

http://qt-project.org/wiki/Simple_encryption

A more secure solution would be to use the QCA library, and openssl to
provide a secure encryption/decryption algo (e.g. AES) - but this
requires 1-2 additional libs like Jurgen said.
Un my ubuntu system both are already installed.

http://delta.affinix.com/qca/

The simple encryption would propably be enough, in any case password
encryption would make qgis more professional IMHO.

cheers
Etienne