[Qgis-user] split point cloud into X randomly selected (equally sized) parts

Olav Peeters opeeters at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 03:40:50 PST 2012

Hi everyone,
for the purpose of speeding up a complex interpolation (written in single
core Fortran-code) we would want to split a cloud of points (ca. 3 million
irregular points) into X number of parts (eg 20 parts of more or less 150
000 points). Does anyone know of some QGIS-extension that could do this
kind of a job?

I was looking at a Saga-gis module ("Shapes - Tools > Split Shapes Layer
Randomly") in the SEXTANTE toolbox. This is perfect if you want to split
shapes into two parts with varying proportions between the two parts. I can
perform this sequentially to arrive at the desired number of parts, but is
very time consuming if you want to compare the impact on the system of
splitting everything in eg 20 parts versus 15 or 12 or..

Preferably, a solution should be executable from the command-line.

Cheers,
Olav