[Qgis-user] Kubuntu of Ubuntu?

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 04:44:01 PDT 2012

Hi

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 6:24 AM,  <neil2 at ansergis.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in the process of selecting a set up for QGIS. I have Windows and Apple
> OS but I think I will plump for Linux because it will give me the widest
> distribution options. But I have afew questions :
>
> a) I am assuming that if I write a python module for QGIS in Linux, I'll
> need to adapt it for other OS? Obviously I would need to adapt any other
> components the module uses, such as databases, but code for QGIS itself?

most plugins should work in all platforms, unless they contain
platform-specific code.

An exception is pyqwt (for plots) which does not work on OSX, but
that's not an issue.

> b) I have been recommended to use Kubuntu by an experienced software
> developer, but most of the user posts here and elsewhere  refer to Ubuntu..
> does the choice have any impact on the opperation of QGIS or, equally
> importantly, the ease of getting advice on Q-GIS-xbuntu issues?

ubuntu/Kubuntu/Kinux Mint are fundamentally the same distrubution, and
qgis packages are the same.
Up-to-date packages for qgis are installed via the ubuntugis-unstable
ppa (see the qgis download page).

But many users have had issues with the Unity desktop that comes
standard with ubuntu. So if you install kubuntu you will use the kde
(plasma) desktop instead of unity.
There is also Linux Mint which is very nice and based on ubuntu, and
uses either Cinnamon or Mate desktop.

A final note, is that you can install plain ubuntu and add other
desktops (kubuntu-desktop, cinnamon, mate) pretty easily. It really
depends on your tastes.

Etienne