[Qgis-user] Geometry repair function?

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Wed Oct 24 07:32:55 PDT 2012

On 2012/10/24 16:08, Burgstaller Stefan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> does anyone know a possibility to repair geometries with QGIS or other
> OSGEO software? In QGIS I only found a function to check for some
> geometry errors in shape-files, but not to repair them...
>
> Best greetings,
>
> Stefan Burgstaller
>
> Land-Data Eurosoft GmbH & Co. KG
> Rennbahnstr. 7
> 84347 Pfarrkirchen
> Telefon: 08561 - 3006 - 782
> E-Mail: burgstaller at eurosoft.de
> <mailto:burgstaller at bbj-unternehmensgruppe.de>

Hi Stefan,
With this question, you open a big can of worms.

What do you call "repairing geometry"?
Automatically fixing overshoots and undershoots?
When is a road-closure seen to be an undershoot, and then automatically
closed (in error) like a T-junction should be?
What if a road widening on a cadastral vector map is so small it gets
snapped up?

Perhaps give an example of your dataset and some of the errors you
expect therein.

...but, if your dataset is not a simple one, best you don't just rely on
software to clean it. Chances are the guy that wrote the "cleaning"
routine in (any) software only had a darn good understanding of
topology, and not that of the logical meaning of your dataset.

Hope this helps (a bit).
Kind regards,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za