[Qgis-user] Loosing connection to SVG Markers

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Oct 29 08:45:36 PDT 2012

Hi,

I am not aware about such path length restrictions.

For the symbol that does not work - did you open the .qgs project file
in a text editor and search for the SVG file? Did you check what path is
stored in the project file?

For production work I recommend to have a central repository of SVG
symbols and use relative paths instead of absolute paths. Relative paths
for SVG symbols are defined as relative to the SVG symbol repository.

If your central repository is at

\\yourserver\qgis\svgsymbols

and you use the path /water/valve_symbol.svg

It will look in your central repository and concatenate the path to

\\yourserver\qgis\svgsymbols\water\valve_symbol.svg

You can define the paths for the central repositories in the global
options (Settings --> Options --> Rendering tab --> bottom of the tab).

Hope this helps,
Andreas