[Qgis-user] Tiling artifacts in hillshade?

jch at caltech.edu jch at caltech.edu
Wed Oct 31 18:04:35 PDT 2012

I have a large DEM, reprojected into UTM from geographic lat long,
(original source, National Elevation dataset 1/3 arc second DEM).

When I produce a hillshade using Raster-Analysis-DEM (Terrain models) the
hillshade is full of tiling artifacts, the edges of which are slightly
offset from NS and EW lines.

Are there any hillshade command settings that can avoid this?
(tiling artifacts show up in DEMS reprojected using both QGIS and ArcMap).

Right now I am avoiding it my using the original Lat-Long DEM to create
the hillshade, and then reprojecting the hillshade into UTM, but I'd like
to not have to archive my Lat-Long DEMs indefinitely.

Thanks,

Janet

(and can anyone point out to me how to reply to single topics in the
digest without starting a whole new thread?)