[Qgis-user] Reading of large SQLite files

Jonathan Moules jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Fri Sep 7 04:44:55 PDT 2012

Hi list,
I have a large, ~9.5GB SQLite file (its FDO rather than SpatiaLite; I'm
aware the later is preferred but FME 2012 doesn't write to them). My
problem is that just adding it seems to be a massive task for QGIS.

The database has 6 tables in it with a total of about 28.8 million features.

I do the following:
Add Vector Layer -> select file -> Click Ok.

QGIS now spends the next 9 minutes thrashing my hard disk.

I then get the "select the layers you want to add" box pop up. I select all
the layers. QGIS then spends another 6 minutes thrashing my hard drive
before the first layer is added (I've already turned off "rendering" so
there's no possiblity of drawing anything) - this layer having about
20million features.
Finally, 10 minutes after selecting the layers I want, and 20 minutes after
I first clicked "add file", the layers are loaded to QGIS.

Conversely, SQLiteStudio can detect there are six tables instantly. A
"select count(*) from TABLENAME" takes about 6 seconds to run against the
largest table (19,945,139 features). Thats all the information thats
required for the "select vector layers to add" apart from geometry "type"
which is a simple query to the geometry_columns table. And again, that's
just to get to the "select layers" page.

So; should QGIS be taking this long to load a SQLite file? Is this a known
issue?

Panning around and actually using it is also a no-go for the largest layer,
I guess because this format doesn't have spatial indexing (they're built
dynamically). This I can understand, I'm just a bit confused as to why it
takes to long to load in the first place.

Any thoughts?

Jonathan

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us,  including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.