[Qgis-user] Why can I not find system requirements of QGIS

fork forkandwait at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 08:31:14 PDT 2012

Alex Mandel <tech_dev at ...> writes:

> On 09/06/2012 03:45 PM, Proctor, Nathanael wrote:
> > Does anyone know the minimum system requirements for QGIS? I have searched
> the web and the user group but
> have turned up nothing.
>
> This comes up every few months, and the reason you don't see it is
> because we don't know the minimum specs.

I think the OP may be used to a certain big proprietary GIS, and find it hard to
conceive that QGIS could run on about anything.

I also wonder if there is a pointy head manager somewhere telling the OP "you
can try QGIS, but only once you show me an official looking webpage, with a
logo, explicitly saying it will work on our hardware."  I don't think there is
such a page (?).

> Now if you have a specific Linux Server in mind and don't want to
> compile yourself - then your limited to packages that are listed on the
> Downloads page (Which is most of what I mentioned above).

Is there a link to packages available for Fedora 64 bit server?  That seems to
be the OS the OP is using?  (I run FreeBSD, so I don't know how Fedora works and
can't help directly.)

> Do you have any more specific questions?

The OP seems to not be familiar yet with the back-and-forth that can make a
mailing list so helpful....