[Qgis-user] Change reference system (SRS)

Gerardo Jimenez gejst5 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 12 06:21:03 PDT 2012

You can do two things

a) Transform (reproject) either 4326 to 32718 or 32718 t 4326.  Load, for instance, a layer in 4326, make sure that you set the project crs from the layer (this is both the layer and the project must be in the same crs). To do this, after loading the layer, just select it right click and select "set project crs from layer). Chose it again and select save as. Now define a new name and for the destination crs choose  32718. This procedure will reproject from 4326 to 32718

b) Load a layer, set the proper crs for the project (as described above). Then go to settings/project properties, and make sure that "on the fly transformation" is enabled. Now load a layer in a differen crs from the first one loaded. Q gis will ask you to define the crs of the layer. Choose it.  Bot layer must show in the display.

You can go either way, I personally prefer to have all my layers on the same crs, but that is me..

Hope it helps

Gerardo Jiménez Delgado
Instituto de Investigaciones Antropológicas
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Ciudad Universitaria s/n
Coyoacan 04510
Mexico City