[Qgis-user] getting statistics from a raster layer

Carlos Carbajal ccarbajal at cip.org.pe
Fri Sep 14 23:40:06 PDT 2012

Hi Antonio,

I recommend that you enable Sextante pluging for Quantum, in the latest
version comes with tools SAGA, there are algorithms for working with
raster, but I still have not successfully tested.
The other option is to use raster tools, such as Clipper, it gives you
an option to use a vector layer as a mask, after that you can use zonal
statistics, there is a plugin for it

Regards,

/P.D. Sorry for my English, I'm using the google translator./

El 14/09/2012 16:22, Antonio Silva escribió:
> Hi fellows
>
> This is my first post in this list. I've been using QGIS since the end
> of last year. I run QGIS on a UBUNTU 12.04 64 bits system.
>
> My purpose is to visualize and analyze fishery and oceanography
> information on a GIS platform. I'm biologist / oceanographer and I
> work at Sao Paulo Fisheries Institute, Brazil.
>
> Well, I'd like to calculate some basic statistics (mean, median,
> maximum, minimum, sd) from a raster layer.
>
> At http://poet.jpl.nasa.gov/ I got the mean sea surface temperature
> off southwestern Brazilian coast for some months. I downloaded the
> data in ARC GRID ASCII format. They can be visualized easily on QGIS
> as a raster layer. I also have a shape with a polygon that delimitates
> my area of interest. I'd like to calculate the mean, max, min, etc.
> temperatures for this specific area.
>
> I learned to do this procedure in gvSIG (in Spanish, sorry):
> SEXTANTE > HERRAMIENTAS BÁSICAS PARA CAPAS RASTER > CORTAR CAPA RASTER
> COM CAPA DE POLÍGONOS
> SEXTANTE > HERRAMIENTAS BÁSICAS PARA CAPAS RASTER > ESTADÍSDICAS BÁSICAS
>
> However I did not find a way to do these calculations in QGIS.
>
> Thanks in advance for any guidance.
>
> All the best,
>
> Antonio Olinto

Ing. Carlos Carbajal Llosa