[Qgis-user] Copy / paste features to spatialite generates error

Julian Bogdani jbogdani at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 02:53:30 PDT 2012

Hello all,
I've tried to add to an existing spatialite layer some features from another layer.
The existing layer is a simple shapefile: I selected the features I wanted to copy and pasted to the spatialite layer. Everything was working file until I tried to save the changes. The following error appears:

Could not commit changes to layer Plan_gen

Errors: ERROR: 903 feature(s) not added.
Provider errors:
SQLite error: Plan_gen.Geometry violates Geometry constraint [geom-type or SRID not allowed]
SQL: INSERT INTO "Plan_gen"("PKUID","Geometry","Layer","area") VALUES (NULL,GeomFromWKB(?, 32634),?,?)

it states it might be a problem of geometry type or a SRID problem. All layers are in the same CRS (EPSG:32634), and all features, in both layers, are of type polyline.

Is it a spatialite bug? a qgis bug? or Am I missing anything?

I've had this issue with other data before. The solution I adopted to work around this was:
1) save the spatialite layer as shapefile
2) paste data into the newly created shapefile
3) delete the spatialite table
4) load in the spatialite DB the shapefile

This works, but it is too tricky for everyday use. I tried to convert all my shapefiles to spatialite, but the limitation spatilite still have in data structure manipulation (adding/removing/renaming fields, etc, a sqlite limit in fact) and now in content editing make me think that that was not a good idea. I can not switch this archives to postGIS yet, because of the actual work-flow organization of the project.

Any help or advice will be appreciated!

-----
Julian Bogdani
jbogdani at gmail.com