[Qgis-user] add new spanish-speaking list ?

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Thu Sep 20 23:06:18 PDT 2012

On 2012/09/21 04:23, skampus wrote:
> Agustin Lobo wrote
>> Hi!
>> I do not think this is a good idea. Virtually anybody working/learning
>> GIS understands English
>> and there are many advantages on keeping one single list, as the most
>> difficult is to find time
>> to answer questions. And there is the added value of exchanging
>> opinions and ideas worldwide.
>> Obviously this is not an obstacle for people wanting a separate list to do
>> it.
>>
>> Agus
>
> + 1
> i totally agree with you
-1
I totally dis-agree.
Most open source users follow a number of lists, so spend a lot of time
weeding out emails.
If you cannot understand a language, then there is point whatsoever.
My suggestion is, is that this list enforces total English, and that a
Spanish (or other lists) be created as needed.

Although frowned upon, cross posting in this case (ie: to Spanish list
in Spanish, and English list in [good or bad] English) is preferable as
it will waste less time of the people who are willing to help, but can
only understand English.

In short, if you want help, make the effort to make it easier and less
annoying for those who are willing and able to help.
No one (to my knowledge) ever minds bad or broken English - in fact I
have seen "bad English" users get better treatment because as a list, we
are really willing to help. (Bad English posts seem to get less RTFM

So, think of it this way:
You get a a post in velly bad Eastern English, but you are willing to help.
If that post was in kanji (or something), you would probably think wtf?

So, spare a thought for those on this list who are just as clueless
about Hispanic and other languages.

What if I posted in Hungarian?

My 2c
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za