[Qgis-user] it's posible to select units for scale bar?

Frank Sokolic sokolic at worldonline.co.za
Fri Sep 21 02:51:43 PDT 2012

Hi Aitor,

You'll have to enable 'on the fly' transformation in the Project Properties and then choose a CRS that projects everything to a metres-based CRS, e.g. UTM. Once you've done this the scale bar in your composer will be in metres.

By the way, the ArcGIS scale bar you mention isn't accurate. ArcGIS will happily allow you to choose km or metres for your scale bar units even when you are using geographic coordinates for your data frame but the length of the scale bar will be WRONG. You can test this by using the measuring tool to measure the length as indicated by the scale bar - you'll get a different length.

Frank.