[Qgis-user] it's posible to select units for scale bar?

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Fri Sep 21 08:03:34 PDT 2012

But what about putting horizontal scale bars up the lefthand side of the
window, length dependent on latitude (and assuming North-up) ?

OK - it's late Friday afternoon, and I am not in a serious mood :-)

Y'all have a good weekend.

On 2012/09/21 16:48, 欧阳乐岩 wrote:
> You are right, it doesn't make much sense. The solution is as Frank
> Sokolic explained, to choose a projected coordinate system as the
> project CRS and QGIS will transform all the layers in this CRS and use
> meters for distance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Leyan
>
> On 09/21/2012 10:39 PM, Nick Hopton wrote:
>> Would a scale bar in metres (or in feet, yards, cubits, &c.) make any
>> sort of
>> sense on a map that uses a geographic coordinate system? I would have
>> thought that scale distortion would make such an entity very misleading.
>>
>> N.
>>

>> --

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za