[Qgis-user] "Normal" mdb support possible for "normal" people?

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Fri Sep 21 15:59:43 PDT 2012

Hi there,
 from a talk at the German User Meeting today in Kassel (thanx to Claas for
the organization), i got the impression that ONE important thing in qgis
is still missing:
Direct support for normal access databases!

Personal geodatabases work like a charm now (many thanx for this!), but i
was told, that a lot of people who would be the perfect target group for
qgis, still work on a completely gis-free level, dealing with their data
in normal access databases or even worse formats.

To catch those people and show them the light, it seems to me to be
crucial, that qgis would be able to add/join/edit normal tables from
normal access database as well without having to do such odbc-magic apprx.
99% of the world population have never heard of.

Here
http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/direct-mdb-read-in-QGis-td4637313.html
i found a "solution" for geeks, but how about those people like me or john
doe, who have no idea about how to compile gdal with other stuff but are
merely able to do some gis work?

I couldn'd find a feature request on the hub on this matter, so i wonder
if this would be a good feature request, or whether there are technical,
legal or "political" constraints preventing such a support so far.

As far as i understand ESRI personal geodatabases are just some pimped
access databases, so the impossibility to just load such in qgis is a
mystery to me.

Can anybody shed some light on this issue?

--
Bernd Vogelgesang * Siedlerstrasse 2 * 91083 Baiersdorf * +49-9133-825374