[Qgis-user] Fwd: "Normal" mdb support possible for "normal" people?

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Sat Sep 22 07:32:19 PDT 2012

I don't know all the reasons for Access Geodatabases but here is what I
do know.

When ArcINFO started turning into the desktop product there was a move
to get things into a "database". ESRI had used INFO/Coverages for years.
I think the quickest way to get to that end was Access. You could fold
all your vector data into Access. It is slow from ArcGIS. You can't
store raster. It has the habit of becoming very large very quickly and
imploding. I think somewhere between 500Mb and 2 Gb were the problem
sizes. They introduced file based geodatabases which aren't databases
and aren't file based - they are directories and in my opinion are
coverages Part II. File based databases are stable and much easier to
work with - and too proprietary for my tastes now. You can get the data
out but it isn't easy.

Randy

Randal Hale, GISP
North River Geographic Systems, Inc