[Qgis-user] "Normal" mdb support possible for "normal" people?

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Mon Sep 24 00:14:29 PDT 2012

Selon Etienne Tourigny <etourigny.dev at gmail.com>:

> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Even Rouault
> <even.rouault at mines-paris.org> wrote:
> > Le dimanche 23 septembre 2012 21:58:30, Etienne Tourigny a écrit :
> >> Hi Even,
> >>
> >> can you comment on using the java jackcess library? It's probably the
> >> only cross-platform solution. Does it support normal mdb files, and if
> >> not, can it benefit from your recent additions?
> >>
> >> http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_mdb.html
> >> http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > The MDB driver (with Jackcess library) indeed already supports normal MDB
> > files. But it is a bit of a pain to use (needs linking GDAL with a JVM and
> the
> > Jackess .jar), so the latest improvement to the ODBC driver should make it
> > easier.
>
> But your improvements are only supported in windows, right?

Yes. But there would be no problems to make it work on Linux too, like it is
done in the PGeo driver, but personnaly I don't see the interest in doing so,
since in my experience, MDBTools, the Unix MDB ODBC driver, under Linux
(particularly 64bit) is too broken to be usefull

> Jackcess is the only solution for linux (and mac) platforms, or are there
> other(s)?

This is the one I found. There are perhaps others I'm not aware of