[Qgis-user] What's python-software-properties necessary for?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Apr 1 19:57:31 PDT 2013

On 03/29/2013 05:55 AM, Anita Graser wrote:
> Thanks Vincent,
>
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Vincent Picavet
> <vincent.ml at oslandia.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
>>>

>> This package provides the add-apt-repository binary, which you will need to
>> install a new ppa easily, e.g. ubuntugis.
>
> So it is not needed if I simply add the repositories to sources.list
> manually like this:
>
> deb     http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu
> precise main
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu
> precise main
>
> Thanks for the clarifications! Have a nice Easter weekend.
>
> Anita

Correct, python-software-properties adds the:
apt-add-repository/add-apt-repository command
It's a one time thing of course, if you've ever used it to add other
ppas from Launcpad. Basically it knows how to find the correct launchpad
url and key.

The alternative is to add the repos yourself to sources.list or
sources.list.d, then to download and apt-add the key those repos are
signed with. The above tool does all of that for you.

Enjoy,
Alex