[Qgis-user] How to display a scale bar in km on a map in degrees?

Carlos Cerdán sig.upagu at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 15:58:55 PDT 2013

What I do is:

1. Start a map with CRS in Lat-Long (EPSG 4326).
2. Create a new printing design and insert the map. This is map 0.
3. Take note about the scale of this map.
4. Return to the working area and change the CRS to UTM 17s (this is my
zone - you select your zone)
5. Return to the created printing design and insert a second map (Map 1),
just a small area. Map 1 is in UTM. Set the scale of Map 1 same that Map 0.
6. Insert a scale bar. Reference map must be Map 1. Set options and place
of this bar and finaly send Map 1 to bottom, behind Map 0.
7. Now you have a map on degrees with a scale bar in km.

Maybe there is another easy way to do it, but it is that I do in this case.
One litle trouble: when you close your file, next time you open it, scale
bar is related to Map 0, but you can select Map 1 again. (Trouble in QGIS
1.8 - Ubuntu 12.04).

Good luck

Carlos Cerdán